Thursday, May 20, 2021

Lighter Book Club Reads for an Unmasked Summer

My book club has challenged me to choose a funny, light-hearted read for our June meeting.

Let me preface this with: These ladies are all amazing, intelligent women, who do a lot for their families and their their community, as well as each other. 
We refer to our book club as "book club," because the book is way down the list of reasons to get together, but having a "book club" meeting sounds official, to ourselves, as busy women with hectic lives, as well as to our families, who are stymied half the time when we leave them.
So the choice of book is something most of them would rather not think about, and they are happy to leave that job to me, since I love nothing more than thinking about books.

I love and read most genres. But light and funny is not really my cup of tea. 

I do try to read one a year. 
I think I should read more light and funny, rather than being so serious all the time, and looking for meaning in everything. It does the soul good, I'm sure. 

So, here is the list I presented to my book club (which they subsequently asked me to narrow down to ONE ðŸ¤£

This is a funny read about an anxious woman in her early fifties, whose husband has just left her, and how she finds herself again (I think there is overseas travel in this one!).


A funny, witty Indian family drama by Balli Kaur Jaswal. 
Three sisters come together to fulfill their mother's dying wish.
   


I read I Was Told It Would Get Easier by Waxman, and liked it well enough, so I'm ready to give this novel a try. It seems to be about an introverted woman who finds out about a father she never knew existed and what she does with that information.


  This has been on my list for awhile. A psychotherapist and columnist gives a behind-the-scenes look into the life of a therapist and her patients looking for answers.




And, because I can't help myself, I suggested this not-necessarily -funny-but-not-depressing multi-generational novel by Connie Schultz (who is the wife of our fine senator, Sherrod Brown):                                                          



Some other light reads I could have chosen:

A woman with a perfect life begins to have recurring dreams about a man, not her husband.

An Indian-American college professor is accused by his colleagues of being a reverse racist.

 





From Canada to Australia on a whim, a homesick wife must find a way to adjust to her new country.











*All photos and links attributed to goodreads.com

1 comment:

  1. The Daughters of Erie Town looks so good! I may have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete